The intake program is responsible for taking in cats and kittens on behalf of the AWLMC. The program takes cats from three main sources:
- Other rescue groups, including the county shelter
- Public pet give-ups
- All adult animals must test negative for FeLV and FIV prior to intake.
- Adults should be vaccinated for distemper and rabies.
- Adults should be spayed or neutered.
- All animals will be evaluated for their adoptability.
- For pet give-ups, unless financial need can be demonstrated, a donation will be required to help pay for the care of the animal.
Contact Information and the Intake Process
- Requests for intakes should be made to our intake line at 301-740-2511 or by emailing email@example.com.
- Once an intake request has been received, the animal(s) will be evaluated according to our acceptance criteria.
- If the acceptance criteria are met, the animals will be placed on our waiting list to be placed in either a foster home or our shelter.*
- The intake program will coordinate with the foster and shelter programs to place animals in openings.
*Stray animals and animals from another shelter are required to be placed in foster homes for a quarantine period.